Working closely with BC Hydro PowerSmart, FortisBC, the Government of British Columbia Climate Action Secretariat and other agencies, the Facilities Branch is undertaking initiatives to reduce energy (electric, fossil fuel, water) consumption and greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) in our buildings including:
- Auditing of utility consumption, setting performance targets and studying potential projects for reductions;
- Continued upgrading of controls for water, heating, lighting, demand ventilation in gyms and other building automation;
- Fleet management plan to replace antiquated vehicles and grounds equipment with new, fuel efficient, eco-friendly, size-specific equipment;
- Continued greening of our cleaning processes to reduce packaging and waste, and reduce chemicals harmful to the environment;
- An auditing and awareness campaign to reduce the amount of waste entering landfills; and
- Major capital projects such as the Rooftop Heating Units (RTU) Replacement Program, where we replaced close to 400 antiquated, inefficient gas-fired units with new, 350% efficient electric heat pumps.